Below are the precautions we will be taking to ensure children are as safe as possible during their time at our school.
Drop off – We will erect an EZ up in the side yard for drop-off. Instead of using our tablet to sign your child in, you will sign in through the transparent classroom website on your phone, and you’ll include your child’s temperature (which you will take before you leave your home). If you forget to take their temperature, you will be able to do so with our thermometer, you’ll just need to use hand-sanitizer first. You will wear a mask at drop-off and pick-up.
During the day – We would like to try mask-wearing with all children who can tolerate it, but I suspect that will be about 4-5 years and up. We understand that some children won’t be able to tolerate a mask or keep one on, and that is what it is. The CDC and Department of Health asks teachers to try to utilize social distancing in the classroom whenever possible between teachers and students as well as across the kids. We understand that with this age group this is often not possible, but we will focus heavily on hygiene and health practices. – All teachers will wear masks at all times when in the classroom or on the playground.
No adults who aren’t teachers will be allowed in the building unless there are emergency circumstances, as per the Department of Health recommendations.
– We will be installing a hand-washing station outside by the drop-off gate, and will have kids wash hands at least once an hour, but definitely any time we notice them touching their mouth, nose, or eyes. -We will be spending most of our morning time outside. We will stay outside during the morning hours to beat the heat and then after lunch the younger children will nap inside while the older children read and then work independently.
– There will be sanitation stations both inside and outside for materials. We will teach children that whenever they are finished with a material they will return it to the sanitation station and a teacher will clean it before putting it back on the shelves. – While we normally allow children to share a material, and work together, we will be enforcing 1 person per work with all materials inside the classroom to minimize the spread of germs, or alternatively children can wash hands before and after sharing a work. On the playground of course there will be times the children get close to one another, and we want them to have social time, the open air in the sun on the playground is the safest place for this to happen.
– Each older child will have their own set of crayons, pencils, scissors, and a bin to put their lunch, change of clothes, nap mat, and work mat, so that all of the children’s belongings stay as separate as possible.- Given that temperatures frequently reach into the upper 90’s and 100’s in Austin in the August afternoon, we will keep children in the school in the mid-afternoon until parents arrive. You will text and we will meet you at the gate.
- Both classroom spaces are equipped with HEPA air filters as an added precaution.
– We expect all parents to keep children home if anyone in the household is running a fever, or if the child or family member shows any symptoms. If your family finds out they might have been exposed to the virus (whether or not they are showing symptoms), please inform us right away.
– If there is a positive case in our school community, we will shut the school for 14 days to make sure that we have done our best to stop the spread. If the child does not have symptoms, but another family member does, we will notify all members of our school community.
Please let us know if you have any questions or suggestions for further safety protocols.