Growing Curiosity Community School – 9000 Georgian Drive Austin, TX 78753
Job Opening Montessori Primary (3-6 year old) Classroom Assistant (full-time)
Start Date: August 5, 2019
Salary: $15-16/hr (depending on experience)
Hours: 7:15 am – 3:45 pm (30 minute break)
Growing Curiosity’s mission is to provide an affordable quality Montessori preschool program with a focus on physical and social development, anti-bias education, and an appreciation for nature.
My name is Breana Sylvester, and I am an Educational Psychologist and Montessori Primary (3-6 year old) Certified guide. I have experience teaching people 2 to 6, 8-11, and college/grad school folks. I am both the lead teacher and administrator of Growing Curiosity, and as such, am looking for an assistant who is ready to help this new school realize its mission.
Our school is located in the Rundberg and N. Lamar area in the Georgian Acres neighborhood, and we hope to have a school population that draws from our neighborhood as much as possible. As a school we wish to maintain ties to the community through volunteer work and hosting community events. A large percent of children in the neighborhood speak Spanish as their home language.
We are dedicated to an anti-bias curriculum, which means we actively teach that people deserve regard and recognition in their experiences of race, gender identity, class, and sexual orientation. I have attended anti-bias education seminars and am designing curriculum for the school. We have an extensive library of books featuring children of the global majority, and are working on establishing an anti-bias committee under our board of directors to help guide this part of our mission.
In our first years, the program will consist of just Pk-3 – 6 year old children (around 18), growing to accommodate older children as the community expresses interest. Our operating hours will be 7:30 am to 6:00 pm.
7:30-9:10 outside time
9:15-12:15 Meeting/Three-hour work cycle inside
12:15-1:00 lunch (outside)
1:15-3:00 nap/rest time (older children who do not nap may look at books, do art, etc. quietly)
3:00 – 6:00 pm: Outdoor enriched free-time consisting of choices to learn gardening, snack time, art, play games, and hopefully other outdoor education elements such as orienteering.
– Fluency in both Spanish and English.
– Dedication to
helping implement an anti-bias curriculum (see above)
– At least two years working with pre-school aged children (please provide at least one work and one character reference).
– Deep respect for children’s ability to create the individuals they will become.
– Flexibility to learn (if not already trained) Montessori philosophy and methods.
– Transportation to and from the school.
– High school diploma or GED/CPR/First Aid certifications/background check/fingerprints required.
- Paid training for Assistants through the Center for Guided Montessori Studies, paid continuing education credits (up to 50/year).
- Free lunches daily.*
- Paid training for lead guide position through the Center for Guided Montessori Studies after 1 year for qualified assistants.**
- Free tuition for first child, and 50% off tuition for concurrently enrolled 2nd, 3rd, etc.
- Salary increases commensurate with experience and training.
- Paid Sick and Vacation days.
Please visit our website at http://www.growingcuriosity.org and email me if you have any questions. You can send your resume, list of references, and letter of interest to [email protected]. I will be contacting qualified applicants starting the beginning of May for interviews.
We look forward to hearing from you,
Dr. Breana Sylvester
School Director – Growing Curiosity Community School
Growing Curiosity Community School is an Equal Opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring practices based upon race, color, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, age, or disability.
*Once we are able to open our commercial kitchen, lunch will be provided to teachers at no cost, the food will be plant-based and the children will help prepare and serve daily.
**requires a two-year commitment to the school upon completing Montessori Certificate